Nepal in May
May is a transition month from the spring to summer seasons. With the pre-monsoon rains in late May, expect to see lots of greenery. Nepal in May allows you to experience the traces of spring and monsoon at the same time.
So, if you like rain and don’t mind changing weather, May is the month for you. This time of the year will see clear mornings and cloudy afternoons. You will also feel the humidity during May.
However, if you plan to trek in May, bring rain gear and be prepared for pre-monsoon weather. The daytime temperature in around 2500m is around 25 degrees Celsius and the night time temperature is around 8 degrees Celsius.
Nepal in May Weather Conditions
- The climate varies from place to place due to Nepal’s diverse geography. The month of May will experience slowly increasing warm weather. However, because it is not the hottest month, so you can enjoy hiking during this time.
- The average temperature in the hilly region during the day is around 30 degrees Celsius, and around 20 degrees at night.
- Since the monsoon season is right around the corner, you can expect rain and thunderstorms. The climate becomes hot and humid as the rainfall increases.
- However, as you climb higher, the weather temperatures and conditions change. Expect colder climatic conditions at passes and base camps.
- Also due to the rainfall, the trekking trails will get muddy and the clouds will cover the mountains after the rainfall.
- But don’t worry, the rainfall usually occurs during the evening and night which will leave you with the beautiful and clear morning. This will allow you to have mesmerizing views of the mountains.
Where to Go Trekking During May in Nepal
Everest Base Camp Trek in May
May is an ideal month for trekking to Everest Base Camp. Due to the warmer weather, there isn’t much snow at the base camp or on the trekking trail. This makes hiking much easier.
This trek allows you to see stunning Himalayan mountains while also getting a glimpse into the lives of world-famous Sherpa climbers. The beautiful views of the rhododendron blossoms are also quite lovely.
The Sagarmatha National Park, a world heritage site, is another highlight of this trip. You will also have the chance to visit high-altitude Buddhist monasteries.
March to May is also the joyful months for mountaineers. Several Everest expeditions will gather near the base camp. As a result, you will get the opportunity to meet world-renowned climbers.
During this time, the Everest Base Camp transforms into a vibrant field, complete with colorful tent camps and trekkers in their gear. Hence the Everest Base Camp is a perfect trekking destination in May.
Annapurna Circuit Trek in May
Annapurna Circuit trek is another great option for trekking in May. It is one of the most diverse and beautiful teahouse hikes in the Himalayas. Here, you get to witness the ethnic groups such as the Gurung and Magar, each with their unique language and tradition.
Also, during the May, you get stunning views. Some of the most beautiful 8000-meter mountains, like Annapurna and Dhaulagiri are breathtaking.
This trip is also known as the ‘Annapurna Round Trek.’ The trek begins at 700 meters above sea level and continues to the Thorong La pass at 5416 meters, which remain open in May. There is less snow at this time of year, making it easier to access the pass.
Furthermore, despite the high altitude, trekking in May is not too cold. In fact, you can trek with just a medium fleece during the day.
In addition, the upper section of the Annapurna Circuit trek is in a rain shadow zone. This means that the trek can be done even during the rainy season.
The cozy guesthouse accommodation and local fresh meals are available along the way. The apple pies are the best you’ll ever have on this journey.
Manaslu Circuit Trek in May
Manaslu Circuit trek is a restricted area in Nepal, but it is open for trekking in May. Nepal in May can be quite busy at Everest Base Camp and Annapurna Base Camp, but at Manaslu, the treks are almost vacant.
Manaslu is the 8th highest mountain in the world. The twin peak mountain is becoming one of the most popular hiking destinations of Nepal
This is an adventurous trek that takes about 17-days to complete. The Larke La pass is easier to cross in May due to less snow on the trail, and one can thoroughly enjoy the wonderful views of the Twin Peak Mountain.
The weather is pleasant during the day, around 20 degrees, and the views of the Himalayan range are stunning.
Langtang Valley Trek in May
The Langtang valley is located north of the Kathmandu valley. This area has recently become a popular trekking destination.
The temperature is warmer during the month of May, which means there is no snow on the walking trails. This makes the journey much easier.
Locals in this area are Tibetans. If you want to learn about Tibetan culture and lifestyle, Langtang is a great place to trek.
The Langtang National Park is another big asset of this trail. It will give you real opportunity to witness species such as Gray Langurs, monkeys, deer, and, if you are lucky, “Red Pandas.”
You can also hike up Kyanjin Ri. The clear weather in May offers wonderful views of the Langtang and other Himalayan ranges.
Moreover, because of its easy accessibility, anyone can do this trek. Hence, the Langtang Valley trek is a fantastic option in May.
Mardi Himal Trek in May
The Mardi Himal trek is doable all year round, and May is no exception. This short and easy hike is suitable for anyone with normal physical fitness.
The journey begins in Pokhara and is ideal for people who wish to get a close look at some of Nepal’s tallest peaks.
You can also see Mt. Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Macchapucchre, and Hiunchuli, among other peaks.
This trek is ideal for those with limited time, as there is no risk of altitude sickness. Hence, with the right gear, Mardi Himal trek is a great option to trek during May in Nepal.
Things to Consider While in Nepal in May
- Bring a good pair of trekking boots with a firm grip because rain can make the terrain treacherous and muddy.
- Keep your equipment dry and clean carry waterproof bags.
- Start your treks early as it sometimes rains in the afternoon.
- Carry insect repellents and ointments. It protects you from various insects such as mosquitoes and leeches.
- Hire a licensed and professional hiking guide to avoid any type of risk caused by weather changes, such as landslides.
- Keep some extra days for hiking in case of flight delays or other unforeseen circumstances.
There are several treks that you can take during May. Nepal in May, like any other season, has its advantages, such as the trails being easier to access with less snow due to the warmer weather.
During this time, all of the tea houses are open and you can easily find lodging. So, you should absolutely consider trekking in Nepal in May.
For more question and queries, please feel free to contact us. We are here to help and guide you in any way possible.